Black Lives Matter
As your new Officer Team, our top priorities are to ensure that your well-being, education and student experience are the best they can be. In the past month or so, following the tragic deaths of George Floyd and countless other members of the Black community, we have been educating ourselves on the Black Lives Matter movement. We’ve also been speaking to some of you, our Black students, to hear about your experiences at St Mary's and what you want to be changed. We feel as your Officer Team that we owe you the representation that you deserve.
We are aware that there is a serious issue with systemic racism around the country and around the globe, and unfortunately, having heard some your experiences, there are cases of this systemic racism and anti-Blackness ever-present in and around St Marys. Evidently this is a big issue with many organisations stating it is occurring within the workplace, yet we see next to no change. As your Union, we recognise there have been past failings and we want to work hard to represent you and educate all who are involved appropriately. As a result, we have developed a set of goals that we aim to implement over the coming year. Short term goals:
- Introduce forums to help you to bring forward your experiences and play a role in developing future forums to discuss the issues faced by our Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority Students.
- Introduce online and physical resources for all students and staff to become more educated on issues faced by Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority students.
- Introduce a number of student chair positions including; Black Students’ Chair, Asian Students’ Chair, Minority Ethnic Students’ Chair amongst other representation chairs.
- Lobby the University to make equality and inclusion training mandatory for all students and staff entering St Mary’s University.
- Support research that provides transparency on the experiences of Black students within St Marys University and St Mary’s Students’ Union.
Long term goals
- Lobby the University to examine HR policies and hiring processes in order to improve representational recruitment.
- Introduce a full-time SMSU Officer Team member for Equality and Diversity.
- We will continue to support and highlight the injustices faced by the Black members of our community and will to fight for equality.
We will give monthly updates on our progress through social media and at stmaryssu.co.uk, and we will also use the aforementioned forums to give updates on how we are making changes. Black Lives Matter now. Black lives will always matter.
This is a message from your Officer Team. To find out more about them and to let them know your views on this campain, click here.